Question: Does my auto insurance policy cover me on car trips outside the United States?
Answer :

That depends on where you go. If you visit Canada, your stateside auto insurance will offer you the same protection there that it does here. But if you decide to take a trip South of the Border, that's a different story.

In Mexico, your automobile liability insurance--and generally your collision and other-than-collision (also known as comprehensive) coverage--is not valid. If you're in an accident, you may wind up in jail until you can prove that you can pay for any damages. So you'll probably want to purchase a Mexican auto insurance policy that will provide liability coverage and, if necessary, collision and other-than-collision coverages. If you're traveling to Mexico, ask your insurance company or travel club for information on these policies.