Question: I broke my leg and can't work for two months. Am I entitled to file a disability claim with my employer?
Answer :
Simply put, it depends. If your accident occurred at work or during a work-related activity (e.g., an off-site meeting), you may be eligible for workers' compensation, which is designed to protect employees who are injured on the job. If your injury occurred outside of work (e.g., a family ski trip), and you have disability benefits through an employer-sponsored disability plan, you may be able to file a disability claim with your employer.

Not sure? Talk to your manager or human resources representative. He or she can explain the types of disability benefits you're eligible for and help you fill out the paperwork.